Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A CELEBRATION PRAYER FOR FOOD

EATING is high on the list of things we have to do daily to sustain life, and Scripture has much to say about it and our attitudes toward food. Jesus always seemed to be going to dinner parties! He said of Himself, “The Son of Man comes eating and drinking….” (Matthew 11:19) Many events in His life and His Divine declarations were set in food situations. Jesus declared that He is The Bread of Life. (John 6:35) After His ascension, we have a glimpse in Acts 2:46 of how His apostles ate: “…they were taking their meals together with gladness [exultant] and sincerity of heart, praising God….” What a good model! These days we even see promos in the media informing us that to have a happy family we should eat our meals together! In past generations we took that for granted. For Christians, sharing food expresses fellowship, celebration and thanksgiving.



A Celebration Prayer for Food


Dear Lord of all I am, including my mortal body:

My body belongs to You, not to me. (1 Corinthians 6:19,20)

I want to eat and drink to Your glory, O God. (1 Cor.10:31)

May my mealtime be a truly spiritual event.


Lord, You declared that everything created by You is good and nothing is to be rejected, if it is received with gratitude by those who believe and know the truth. (1 Timothy 4:3-5) I thank You for the food set before me. Bless and sanctify it by Your word, O God, and by this my prayer. I offer to Your Lordship my appetite, the good digestion of the food, and its nourishment for my body. (Romans 12:1)


Your Word declares that Your will for me is to prosper and be in health, even as my soul prospers. (3 John 2) Help me be wise to keep my body, soul, and spirit in the best condition so I can daily walk in divine health to please and serve You. (Ephesians 5:10)


Man does not live by bread alone; the Kingdom of God is not meat and drink but righteousness, peace, and joy. (Romans 14:17) Teach me to watch and pray when I choose foods, eating only food that is nutritious and needful for me (Proverbs 30:8) lest I yield to the temptation of the flesh. My spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak. (Mark 14:38) Nevertheless, I can do all things, even concerning my food, through You who promised to strengthen me. (Philippians 2:13)


I accept this food as healthful, but if the selection has not been under my control, I pray that You will take away any harmful effects. (Mark 16:17,18) Help me eat only as much as is sufficient for me. (Proverbs 25:16) If I need to shed the weight that so easily besets me through poor eating habits so that I might be a better witness for You, (Hebrews 12:1) may I grow the Fruit of the Spirit in self-control. (Galatians 5:16, 22-25)


I eat this food with joy and gladness as a celebration because You, gracious Father, have given us richly all things to enjoy. (1 Timothy 6:17) Give me a merry heart so that I may have a continual feast. (Proverbs 15:15)


Lord Jesus, You were known in the breaking of bread whereby You revealed Your real presence. (Luke 24:30,31) I come to Your Eucharistic Table to receive Your Body and Blood indeed. You promised to be at my daily table to eat with me. (Revelation 3:20) I acknowledge Your presence and preeminence among those of us who gather to eat. (Proverbs 3:6) May our conversation over food be pleasant as a honeycomb, sweet to our souls, health to our bones, and pleasing to You. (Proverbs 16:24)


In the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. AMEN

#END

No comments: