Monday, November 10, 2014

FACING PHYSICAL DISTRESS


I know that God is not “The Great Puppeteer in the Sky” who pulls strings to either make us jump His way or let us fall in a slump heap. It seems incredible that God decided to give free will to humankind. God is no pusher or manipulator. He doesn't invade my life against my will. I can even resist God's work in my life, if I choose.

The fact is, when I opened my heart and surrendered my life to Him years ago, I gave Him permission to work me over into whatever pattern He originally planned for me. Year after year, morning by morning, I've consciously reaffirmed His Lordship:

I choose You, Jesus Christ, as Lord of my life. Reign as King with full authority over my body, soul, spirit, mind, emotions and will. Rule over all that I am, all that I have, all that You have so graciously given me. I accept You as Lord over every relationship, responsibility, appetite, and ambition.
Bring into my life today everything and only whatever and whomever You will—in person, by letter, phone call, email, thought, impression, prayer, event, or circumstance. Therefore, may I recognize that interruptions and changes are not accidental or incidental, but my opportunities and Your appointments for my good and for Your glory.

“Okay, God, I know You are not an intruder in the negative sense. I know that I gave You permission to do as You will in my life. But this physical trial certainly seems to have interrupted important things I had on the drawing board of my life. Here I am, flat on my back in the hospital after cancer surgery. I'm challenged to internalize my faith in Your sovereignty and goodness for bringing this seeming misfortune into my life. It doesn't look like a blessing from this horizontal posture. No, I don't want to renege on my surrender and grab the steering wheel from my passenger side. I acknowledge You as the driver in control.

But Lord, couldn't You have made Your point just as clearly with some handwriting on the wall of my kitchen? Or by speaking through a burning bush in my yard? Did you have to use such a drastic measure as cancer? I think I would have listened to You...
Well, maybe I wouldn't have...probably not...not in the same way as I hear You now while staring at the ceiling of Room 12 in the surgical wing of University Hospital hooked up to all these wires and tubes and breathing apparatus.

(Excerpt from Chapter 8 “Working My Way Through Spiritual College” from Leona Choy's book “HOSPITAL GOWNS DON'T HAVE POCKETS! Why Me? What Now? Discovering Meaning in Physical Distress.”)

For the rest of November, Leona will regularly post excerpts from this book on her blog as "appetizers." At the same time, this 314 page book originally priced at $15.95 is available for ONLY $11 a copy plus s/h! Order multiple copies for CHRISTMAS GIVING! Hurry and contact Leona at leonachoy@gmail.com.

Nobody Doesn't Need This Book!

Like it or not, some kind of medical or surgical adventure probably waits around the corner for you or your significant others. Or you are already a veteran in the School of Physical Trials. Cheer up! Hospitals are not only ideal BODY SHOPS for repair but excellent CLASSROOMS for soul-searching and life evaluation. This book is not only for first-timers who, like Leona, suddenly faced cancer or surgery, but also for graduate students in the schools of chronic illness and pain.

No comments: