Wednesday, August 14, 2013

REMEDY FOR SKIN PROBLEMS

By this time of my life I should be comfortable in my own skin. I should accept myself “as is” and be thankful for the serviceable “earth suit” the Lord provided with the DNA He chose for me. My skin is not the smooth and supple skin I had in my youth, of course, but it serves to cover up my bones and muscles and keep my inner workings out of sight

When I look at my arms and face and other parts of my anatomy, I wonder what happened and when it happened. Human skin does become drier with aging because fatty cells decrease and lose some of their effectiveness. Wrinkles develop and we look withered. The media tempts us with moisture creams and lanolin and oil products.

Drying is not such a negative in the natural world. A dried grape becomes a more expensive raisin. A plum should be happy to turn into a sweet prune. The nutritional value of dried foods is not only retained but sometimes increased.

Jesus talked about dried up Christians, but He wasn't singling out older people. He was illustrating the close, vital relationship that we must maintain with Him or else it is impossible to serve and please Him. If we don't abide, He said we “dry up.” Jesus declared that there was no way to bear spiritual fruit apart from Him. 

The oil of the Holy Spirit keeps us from drying up. He is our Refresher to keep us spiritually young and vital no matter how many scores of years we have lived. The Psalmist declared, “Bless the Lord, O my soul...who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle” (103:5). No cream or oil product on the market can match such a rejuvenation guarantee!

What I look like as a seasoned Christian on the outside isn't eternally important. Dryness and wrinkles are expected as part of my temporary, mortal body which will be totally renewed someday in the resurrection. What I should guard against is spiritual dryness that takes place if I don't abide in Christ and let Him abide in me.

No comments: