Saturday, April 2, 2011

SPRING, THE LOVER

SPRING startled me today

as I shook out the dust mop.

He took me by surprise

for I didn't realize

he was around yet.

He slipped behind me

ruffled my hair with the wind

kissed my cheek with the sun

and then laughed

to see me blush.


His warm breath caressed my neck

teasing me, making me restless

as I swept winter from the porch.

I tried to get him off my mind

by staying inside at humdrum tasks.

He rustled the curtains to get my attention

and flirted with me

through the open window.


I can’t resist him!


I must run away with him

right away today, so I race

with trowel and seeds in hand

to our garden rendezvous

our "special place"

eager once more

for the touch of the rich mulch

and sweet earthy scent

of Virginia country soil.


Despite the lingering chill

of the retreating March wind

I kneel in the moist flower bed

breathing hard, delighted to feel

basic nature and the hope of life

incipient in the seed

that is about to experience resurrection!


I cast off my winter inhibition
and thrill to the ecstasy
of SPRING's embrace!



END

No comments: