Thursday, October 30, 2014

SAGA OF THE GRAY CLOUD


“Don't follow me anymore, Gray Cloud! When you are around anything that can go wrong does go wrong,” complained Downcast Pilgrim.

“That's not true. Murphy's Law is all in the mind. It's just your imagination. But it's a self-fulfilling attitude, you just wait and see.” Gray Cloud hovered closer above him.

“Because you are following me, all my friends are noticing. They are avoiding me.”

“Of course they will. I am visible to them, especially to people who also have gray clouds trailing them.”

“I didn't invite you to follow me,” countered Downcast Pilgrim.
“Yes you did! You took your eyes off of Jesus and that is an open invitation for us gray clouds to take over.”

“But I don't want to be like Joe Btfsplk in Al Capp's cartoons who had a bad luck cloud attached to him! It's like you're shadowing me.” 

“The devil helped out by giving you an invisible attitude string to tie me to you like a helium filled balloon. It's that simple—wherever you go, I go.”
“But that draws attention to me!”

“Don't blame me. In fact, I think you enjoy the attention you get by being under my cloud.”

“People are beginning to say that you remind them of the gray cloud that floated above Eeyore the old stuffed donkey who was a friend of Winnie-the-Pooh.”

“That was my cousin Achromatic Cloud. He is an expert in pessimism and critical attitudes. My expertise is raining depression on my clients and keeping them in my shadow. If all goes as planned, soon you'll be feeling sorry for yourself and wearing a permanent sad face. Remember that it didn't help Eeyore's attitude to tie a pink ribbon on his tail, and pink ribbons won't chase away your sadness either.” 

“Stop it! I'm already in a doleful slump.”

“Ah, good. We're getting somewhere. I can offer you many benefits,” Gray Cloud puffed himself up.

“Leave me alone!” moaned Downcast Pilgrim. “I have sad memories and regrets I want to worry about. I'm so discouraged....”

“Now you're on the right track. You are in luck. I just happen to be the ideal, convenient storage place for all your memories of what other people did to you for which you haven't forgiven them. I'm expandable. I have plenty of room in my gray cloud for all you can send my way. Of course, over time my cloud becomes heavier with your moanings, so I have to drop gray rain all over you until you become as gray as Eeyore. Fortunately, you can have access to my cloud anytime and put as many regrets and complaints into it as you wish. What's more, you can take them out again and reexamine the offenses against you and reopen wounds. They become as fresh and raw as the day they happened, I guarantee it. I even have room for fantasy offenses.”

“What's wrong with asking myself questions like 'Why did I make such poor decisions in the past? Why do bad things always happen to me?'”

“If you really want to know, dredging up such things affects your spiritual life. If you keep looking in the rear-view mirror of the past, it distorts your perspective. Your mental and physical health goes South too. You will soon find yourself taking a negative view of everything and contaminate everyone else around you. But that's exactly what I'm after! A negative attitude inflates my gray cloud like a balloon. I can become a monstrous storm cloud and completely obscure the sun.”

“Is that why I feel such a chill? I miss the warm sun!” said Downcast Pilgrim wistfully.

“I'd be sorry to leave you, but I have to tell you that you do have a secret power to make me leave. I'm sure there will always be someone else who will welcome a friendly gray cloud like me when they are depressed.”

“Nothing personal, but hurry and tell me the secret of how I can get rid of you,” pleaded Downcast Pilgrim. 

“If you invite the Son into your life again, I have to leave. He is the Light of the world and darkness can't exist in His presence. I work for the prince of darkness. Your invitation for the Son to return will cut the string by which we are attached and I'll float away up...and up...and up....” 

As Downcast Pilgrim lifted his hands and heart to welcome the Son to return, Gray Cloud's voice became more faint as he rose higher and higher finally dissolving into nothingness. And his chilly shadow left with him.

As Downcast Pilgrim shaded his eyes to watch Gray Cloud leave, he saw that all the while Gray Cloud floated above him, the sun had still been shining brightly above the gray cloud! As he reveled in the joy of the warmth of the Son, all of his friends who had been avoiding him came running over to celebrate the Sonshine with him. And they sang a new song and danced a happy dance together while only white, fluffy clouds floated above them in the bright blue morning sky.

From THE RESOURCE BOOK

“Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence Psalm 42:5.

 “Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am pining away; Heal me, O Lord, for my bones are dismayed. And my soul is greatly dismayed; But Thou, O Lord—how long? Return, O Lord, rescue my soul; Save me because of Thy lovingkindness” Psalm 6:2-4; “I will give thanks to the Lord according to His righteousness, and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High” Psalm 7:17; “Thou wilt make known to me the path of life; In Thy presence is fulness of joy; In Thy right hand there are pleasures forever” Psalm 16:11; “Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing; Thou hast loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness; That my soul may sing praise to Thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to Thee forever” Psalm 30:11, 12.

No comments: