Wednesday, October 29, 2014

MONOLOGUE OF THE UPPER CRUST

Monologue: A talk or discourse by a single speaker. Any composition, as a poem, in which one person speaks alone. A dramatic soliloquy.

I am only fine-grained dust
feldspar mineral clay
found on the Planet's crust,
earthy material formed
from the erosion of rocks
over vast eons of earth time.
My flesh of sinews and bones
is made of earth's topsoil.
Dust I am and to dust I return.

Lord, You are The Other,
The Self Existent One,
Almighty, Immortal One,
Exalted Non-Substance,
not made, yet all and in all,
Creator, Father, Incomparable,
my Maker and my God!

Your hand molded my clay
in some inexplicable way
unknown and unrecorded
for future posterity.
In Your image You fashioned me
and apart from Your Word
nothing came to be.

Then You breathed on my clay
to give Life to me. And I became
animated dust!
Unfathomable mystery!

You are my Potter.
I dare not question
what You are making of me
or fret at the pressure.
At times resisting You
I haven't been malleable.
Oft marred in Your loving hands,
You've shaped me anew.
So be it done unto me
according to Your word!

You have made of me
a temple of the Holy Spirit
to carry a precious Treasure
in my earthly vessel of clay.
You bought me with the price
of Your only Son's sacrifice,
and destined me to be holy.

As an earthly tent is torn down,
and my dust returns to dust,
You've prepared a house for me
not made with hands
to dwell in the heavens eternally.
You've given my dust a destiny!

From THE RESOURCE BOOK

Some Bible versions translate “dust” as “dirt from the ground,” moulde of the earth,” “slime of the earth,” “small dust such as is on the surface of the earth,” and “topsoil of the fertile land.” Science informs us that the substance of human flesh, sinews, and bones consists of the very same relatively common elements as the soil which forms the crust of the earth.

“Then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being [soul]” Genesis 2:7. “...From it [the ground] you were taken; for you are dust...” Genesis 3:19. “The first man is from the earth, earthy....” 1 Corinthians 15:47. “...he who is of the earth is from the earth...” John 3:31. “...thou hast made me of clay...” Job 10:9. “...I too was formed from a piece of clay” Job 33:6. “...those who dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust...” Job 4:19.
“Shall the potter be regarded as the clay; that the thing made should say of its maker, 'He did not make me'; or the thing formed say of him who formed it, 'He has no understanding'"? Isaiah 29:16. “Woe to him who strives with his Maker, an earthen vessel with the potter! Does the clay say to him who fashions it, 'What are you making'? or 'Your work has no handles'? Isaiah 45:9. “Yet, O LORD, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou art our potter; we are all the work of thy hand” Isaiah 64:8. “And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do” Jeremiah 18:4.
“...he [Jesus] spat on the ground and made clay of the spittle and anointed the man's eyes with the clay” John 9:6; John 1:3.
“Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for beauty and another for menial use?” Romans 9:21. “...also vessels of earthenware...” 2 Tim. 2:20. “But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us” 2 Cor. 4:7. “...earthly tent which is our house....” 2 Cor. 5:1-5; 1 Cor. 3:16; 6:19, 20.







No comments: