Sunday, October 8, 2017

LIVING IN THE “EVEN BEYOND”

I was only 65 years old. My unexpected lung cancer surgery for the removal of the large third of my right lung took place on October 8, 1990. Today is my anniversary of that date.

While in recovery, in answer to my question of what I could or should not do from that point to prevent a recurrence of cancer, my renowned pulmonary surgeon Dr. Jack Curtis, a Christian, to the best of my recollection answered the following: “Since we don't know the cause of your cancer and your lifestyle is already good, continue to live your life as God may lead you. It is in His hands whether you make it without recurrence to the five year mark or—even beyond. Nothing can abort His plan for your life until He has fulfilled His purpose for and through you.”

Through the goodness and plan of God I have been living in that extended bonus “even beyond” for the past 27 years. I am in my 92nd year. “I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will show forth (recount and tell aloud) all Your marvelous works
 and wonderful deeds! I will rejoice in You
and be in high spirits 
 Psalm 9:1,2 (Amplified Version).  Despite ups and downs, hills and valleys, joys and sorrows I have tried to faithfully use to the fullest my “renewed eagle time” (Psalm 103:5). Whatever spiritual fruit I have borne is for God's glory.

As a long time cancer survivor I have learned many lessons from God and I have written a book to help others who are experiencing illness: Hospital Gowns Don't Have Pockets. In thanksgiving to the Lord for His goodness and mercy to me, I want to give a free copy of that 314 page book to anyone who requests it by email:leonachoy@gmail.com. I would appreciate your covering the postage, if you can.

It is hardly possible that there is anyone who hasn't experienced some illness or accident (or eventually will) or doesn't have friends and family members who are struggling through some health issues. You may order multiple copies of my book—no limit—to give as a gift to others. Everyone needs this book sooner or later!

In this book I candidly share my initial fears and tears, trauma and drama, questions and apprehensions, learnings, doubts and joyful shouts. I walk with the reader from the first knowledge that something is “out of order” all the way through the recovery minefield. I wrestle with questions like Who caused my illness, God or Satan? What did I do to deserve this? Can God heal me? Will He? What if He doesn't? Can I “claim” my healing? Should I fight my illness and refuse it? Why does God seem so far away when I need Him most? Is my illness a friend or foe? Is there life after hospital?

I don't claim to have all the answers, but I put on my hospital slippers to walk with the reader through his illness adventure. And the two of us will walk with God and try to find His purpose in it. This book is for first-timers like me who suddenly face illness, also for graduate students in the schools of illness and pain. I include “Personal Workout” questions at the end of each chapter which makes it user-friendly for group discussion.

No comments: