Wednesday, December 3, 2008

LPM—ADP


“I am alive! I am alive! I am alive! I didn’t miss out on living! And that is wonderful enough for me.”


A seven year old boy with third-degree burns over ninety-five percent of his body exclaimed the above. David was facing approximately 5,000 surgeries in his lifetime with all the excruciating pain that would entail, yet he was so thankful just to be ALIVE.



Are we overlooking the miracle of simply being alive? Do we have to experience tragedy or survive a life-threatening illness before we value life itself? We didn’t do anything to deserve life; it is an outright gift from God. We only need to open our eyes and hearts to accept and appreciate the wonder of everyday living and the everyday people God brings across our path. Someone suggested that many of us are like flies crawling across the ceiling of the spectacular beauty of the Sistine Chapel. We miss the grandeur all around us.



Let's tiptoe through each day experiencing the marvel of just being alive. Sing to the hills till they are alive with the sound of music--Sing out "I am God's workmanship!" (Ephesians 2:10) "I am God's temple!" (1 Corinthians 3:16) "I am bought with a price, the blood of Christ!" (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20) "I am God's child!" (John 1:12) Jesus came to give us LIFE and have it abundantly. (John 10:10)


A priest friend of mine distilled the meaning of LIFE in two sequences of letters: LPM and ADP. Live in the Present Moment/Abandoned to Divine Providence. (Abandoned in the sense of surrendered and Divine Providence meaning God) What a simple yet profound summary for a life of joy and peace as we regard each unrepeatable moment as sacred and place ourselves trustfully in the hands of our Loving Lord! We've already lived our yesterdays; to live in tomorrow is not possible. Today is all we have; surely it pleases God if we value it above all treasures and live it to the hilt.


Helen Keller who became deaf and blind at the age of two courageously seized life with both hands and declared “Life is a daring adventure!” She challenges us who have eyes but apparently see little. We take for granted the panorama of color and action which fill our world.


“I, who cannot see, find hundreds of things to interest me through mere touch. I feel the delicate symmetry of a leaf. I pass my hands lovingly about the smooth skin of a silver birch or the rough shaggy bark of a pine. I feel the delightful, velvety texture of a flower and discover its remarkable convolutions—something of the miracle of nature is revealed to me….At times my heart cries out, longing to see these things, but if I can get so much pleasure in mere touch, how much more beauty must be revealed by sight?”


Have I lived in the present moment without focusing on the rear view mirror? Have I walked through my day yielding joyfully to God’s design for my life? Have I thanked God today for breathing into me the breath of life and generously blessing me with five senses? Did I arise this morning aware and thankful that I AM ALIVE! I AM ALIVE! I AM ALIVE!?


Tomorrow is another day, God willing, offering another opportunity to thank Him for LIFE, whatever it may bring--or however short or long! It is all filtered through the generous love and plans of God who has blessed us with both mortal life and eternal life to enjoy!


# END


No comments: