Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Private Eye in my Home

How quickly and easily I am drawn into spending an inordinate amount of my precious day watching the Tube! I really don't intend to fritter away so many hours.
I do quite well to curtail my viewing until a hurricane is pending, some natural disaster has befallen the world, the political campaigns heat up with debates and endless rhetoric, some breaking news is offered me, or the movie channel beckons persuading me that I need to relax a little.
The hours flee by and I have falsely invested in the trivial and the temporary.

May the Lord have mercy and "teach me to number my days [and time spent viewing TV] and apply my heart unto wisdom...."

The Twenty-third Channel


The TV is my shepherd
it tells me what I should want.
It makes me to lie down on the sofa.
It leads me away from the Scriptures.
It slowly deadens my soul.
It leads me in the paths of sex and violence
for the sponsor's sake.


Yea, though I walk in the neglect
of my Christian responsibilities
I will allow no interruption;
For the TV is always with me.
Its cable and remote control they comfort me.


It prepares endless commercials before me
In the presence of my coveting nature.
It anoints my head with humanism.
My uncontrolled desires runneth over.


Surely laziness and deceit shall follow me
all the wasted days of my life
If I dwell in the house watching TV forever.


[Author unknown—slightly "souped up" by Leona]


#END

No comments: