Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Invisible Thread

That's the title of a recent book whose author I saw interviewed on television. It's the true story of two unlikely people whose lives seemed to be coincidentally brought together. The author referred to an ancient Chinese proverb as her launching point:

“An invisible thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break.” 
 
I believe this is more than a wishful concept. It echoes the outworking of the promise in Romans 8:28. “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” 

It mirrors God's networking in our lives like a weaving which we see only from the underside. God plans the unique design from above and connects the threads that will make it beautiful. The threads may be invisible now, but we may look forward to seeing the whole when we finish our life journey and all things are made clear in His presence. Then we'll understand the reason for the stretches and tangles and dark threads as well as the bright colors.

God threads some people to come into our lives only briefly but always for some purpose that God may intend for both persons. I am a part of all whom I have met and they are part of me. Some people have come into my life for longer periods, even for a lifetime. Relationships come and go like a needle and thread sewing into my life cloth as God brings them in and out through every season of my life.

I begin my prayer each morning asking the Lord, 
         “Bring into my life today everyone and everything that is in Your perfect will—whether by phone call, email, thought, in person, by a reminder to pray, through a chance meeting, scheduled appointment, letter, an obligation which I must fulfill, my routine responsibilities, or any other means. And keep out of my life anything and anyone not in accord with Your purpose. I want to do Your will on earth this day as it is done in Heaven.” 

By melding my will with God's will and speaking it aloud, I remind myself, God, and Satan and his scheming minions that I am committed to obey God. I can then accept whatever and whoever the Holy Spirit will thread into my life. If things happen that I don't expect and my own plans and schedule are disrupted, I can be at peace that God's invisible thread is sewing into my life the better plan for His sovereign purposes.

This relationship with God gives me a reason to put my feet on the floor when I wake up in the morning because I anticipate a daily adventure with God. He is full of surprises. Sometimes His serendipity is visible and tangible but sometimes invisible and spiritual. I enjoy them all because they are God-woven with His golden threads.

No comments: