Sunday, February 5, 2017

GOD'S PLUCKING BUSINESS


I certainly do need the “Divine Rescue Squad” (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) on quite a regular basis to "pluck" me out of the snares and traps of daily life.  I frequently send out a distress signal for Help From Above.

King David was especially good at crying S.O.S. Physically strong military man and national leader that he was, God always seemed to be “plucking” him out of snares, traps, pits, nets and the like. I'm in good company.


I use the action “plucking” in a similar way as I used it when writing about the aging eagle plucking out its worn feathers in anticipation of growing new ones so it could soar the heavens again with renewed vigor. Plucking is defined as “pulling off or out from somewhere or something with sudden force or a jerk.” God sometimes snatches us with a heavenly yank just in the nick of time from danger or being overcome from some dilemma.


Back to King David the Psalm writer who always seemed to be getting caught in snares or nets or traps or pits that his adversaries laid for him—or that he fell into by his own carelessness or fault or deliberate action. 

What is a “snare”? A device like a noose used for capturing some living creature. It is set by someone with the intention of gaining control of an unsuspecting victim by trickery or a wile. A “trap” is similar. A contrivance for catching game, it springs suddenly when a victim comes near unawares. The surprise element is important to gain the advantage, as is the bait which is the essential lure or the come-on. A “net” is either a literal woven mesh for catching something by entanglement or a network of some sort, sometime invisible, almost like a spider's web, that completely engulfs the victim and renders it helpless. A “pit” is a concealed hole, often very deep, camouflaged to blend with the environment. Its intent is to capture large animals or people who may fall into it unawares. It implies enticement or inveiglement. One can't get out of a pit by one's own strength or skill. It is a hidden danger; one wouldn't deliberately fall into a pit if it was obvious to him.


We are so much like David in that our modern life in this high tech age and urban environment isn't much different than what he faced thousands of years ago in his more agrarian era. Human nature is the same and so are our temptations and our adversities and our adversaries, although coming upon us wearing a different guise. As God's adult children, we are just as helpless to pluck ourselves out of our perplexities as was David. God doesn't chide us for crying and pleading to be delivered. We are powerless and it is good and right that we recognize that and cast ourselves entirely on God's mercy and love. He is the willing Deliverer, the “Plucker” upon whom we are welcome to call at all times and in every kind of trouble.


Without a doubt, Scripture reinforces God's title as “The Plucker. To select just a few of the multitude of rescuing verses: “For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper, and from the deadly pestilence [that stalks in darkness]” (Psalm 91:3) “My eyes are continually toward the Lord, for He will pluck my feet out of the net” (Psalm 25:15). “Thou wilt pull me out of the net which they have secretly laid for me; for Thou art my strength” (Psalm 31:4). “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1). “Blessed be the Lord, who has not given us to be torn by their teeth. Our soul has escaped as a bird out of the snare of the trapper; the snare is broken and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of the Lord, Who made heaven and earth” (Psalm 124:6-8).


So then I should not be ashamed to cry out to God for help as often as I am in some mess of my own making or that has come upon me unawares and even undeserved. He answers my every cry! “He redeems me from the hand of the adversary. Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble; He delivered them out of their distresses.” “He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their pits” (Psalm 107:6,7, 19,20). Can you or I ever be fallen into a pit too deep for God's supernatural plucking? Do I think I may be in one now from which it is impossible to be plucked? That is impossible. There isn't a snare or net or trap strong enough to hold me if He plucks me loose!

Your pits and snares and traps and entire networks of problems and troubles and temptations and distresses and stresses are different from mine. I know what mine are, don't you? And I'm counting on the Lord "plucking" me out of mine in His time and in His way!  *Selah! Think on these things.
 
 * Selah. If you don't know what this expression from the Psalms means, order my new book "SELAH REFLECTIONS: Press the PAUSE Button."

No comments: