Monday, April 28, 2014

WHY DOES THE SKY CRY?


One might expect a little child to ask such an innocent, naive question when watching the rain fall. 

Since I am a “forever-child” of my Heavenly Father, I don't think He will object to my asking the same question. 

We didn't have many of the traditional "April showers" this year so with only two days left in the month, nature is trying to catch up today.

 A dark, overcast sky with gentle raindrops pattering on my roof and splashing in puddles on my driveway evokes conflicting emotions within me—I feel wistful, happy, yet sad, reflective, peaceful, nostalgic, and pensive all wrapped up with melancholy. 

Rain makes me feel both restful and restless.

SKY TEARS

Why does the sky cry?
Is it for what has been and is no more?
Is it for what is not and never will be?
Is it for what will be but is delayed?
Does the sky cry from emptiness or fullness?
Or simply because in the cycle of seasons
it is time to cry?
The sky needs release and the thirsty ground
needs sky tears to soften the soil
and prepare for spring: the planting
sprouting, birth of life.
The weeping sky and the rejoicing earth
meet in expectancy for the certainty
of growth after the spring rain.

Why does my heart cry?
I don't know why. Perhaps for all the reasons
of the sky and earth combined
since I am part of that cycle of life and its seasons.
I seem to be always in transition, always in anticipation
always in passage to another stage.
I, too, cry from emptiness and from fullness
and for release. Sometimes wistfully looking backward
and then again pressing longingly forward.
Sometimes my tears are neither sad nor glad.
Perhaps my tears are the bridge between
the loving decrees of God for my life
those unknown episodes still beyond the horizon
and the thirst of my earth-heart to know what they are
and what the coming spring will bring
after the planting, after the sprouting
after the births of life that will come forth in me
ultimately
after my spring rain.

No comments: