Tuesday, March 25, 2014

THE CALENDAR SAYS IT'S SPRING




Yes, I know it's snowing again today. March is making its exit like a lion. It's premature to put away scarves and gloves and snow shovel. Turn the heat up please. Nevertheless, THE CALENDAR SAYS IT'S SPRING!

I'm putting away the bird feeder and notifying my feathered friends that I've reached the bottom of the bird seed bag and woodpeckers have consumed the last of my case of suet. From now on they can fend for themselves because THE CALENDAR SAYS IT'S SPRING!
 
Let's jump start the fav season and dust off the garden tools. Grab the seed catalog and dream.  Notify your senses....THE CALENDAR SAYS IT'S SPRING!

(I've used my poetic license and personified SPRING and NATURE)


SPRING, THE LOVER

Spring startled me today
as I shook out the dust mop.
He took me by surprise
for I didn't realize
he was around yet.

He slipped behind me
ruffled my hair with the wind
kissed my cheek with the sun
and then laughed
to see me blush.

His warm breath caressed my neck
teasing me, making me restless
as I swept winter from the porch.
I tried to get him off my mind
by staying inside at humdrum tasks.

Spring rustled the curtains to get my attention
and flirted with me
through the open window.
I can’t resist him!

I must run away with him
right away today, so I race
with trowel and seeds in hand
to our garden rendezvous
our "special place"
eager once more
for the touch of the rich mulch
and sweet earthy scent
of Virginia country soil.

Despite the lingering chill
of the retreating March wind
in ecstasy I kneel
in the moist flower bed
breathing hard, delighted to feel
basic nature and the hope of life
incipient in the seed
that is about to experience
resurrection.

So I yield to my impulse…
I cast off my winter inhibition
and yield to the thrill
of Spring's embrace!
***** 

SPRING REVEILLE

On muted winter mornings
the sallow sun snuggles lazily
beneath the comfy coverlet of night
reluctant to leave his bed of stars
and down-filled comforter of clouds.

In winter I too sleep late
deep under my cozy patchwork counterpane
unaware of hazy late morning light
oblivious to my alarm clock
snoozing silently with me
in its “long doze” mode.

But now in spring
the sun flings off his blanket
and rises swiftly
from his restless sleep
with blazing brilliance bouncing up
the rosy steps of day
scaling the Blue Ridge mountains
in a matter of minutes
framed in my eastern window.

How do I know?
Because the sun teases me
by turning on dawn's light
long before six
and sounding a reveille
of chirping birds
compelling me to wake and witness
his daily solar spectacle
and not be late to appreciate
another splendid Virginia dawn.
***

No comments: