Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Dealing with the "me" complex


THE DISPUTE ABOUT IMPORTANCE is not unique to the five finger argument below.
 Jesus needed to take His twelve disciples in hand to teach them a lesson. “Jesus began to question [His disciples], 'What were you discussing on the way?' But they kept silent, for on the way they had discussed with one another which of them was the greatest. And sitting down He said to them, 'If any one wants to be first, he shall be last of all, and servant of all.'” Mark 9:33-35

The Five Finger Argument

On The Way to accomplish A Task for The Master, the five fingers of a hand of one of His human children had a contention among themselves.

“I am the most important,” each finger declared.

The thumb held itself up. “I indicate what’s Number One. I show priorities.”
The first finger bragged, “I always point the way. I give good directions.”
The second finger stood erect. “I am the tallest, above the rest of you, so I am the most important.”
“I am the most precious,” said the third finger. “I wear the wedding band.”
The small finger spoke quietly, “When hands are clasped in prayer, I am nearest to God.”

God, the Creator of the hand and the designer of the differences between the five fingers, called a Ministering Angel to give the fingers a test to prove which was the most important. 
The angel scattered some pebbles on a table and said, “Whichever of you picks up all the pebbles is the most important and can set off to accomplish The Task by itself.”
Each finger tried to pick up a pebble but failed to do it alone.
Finally, in true humility, each finger realized that it had to cooperate with the others to do The Task of The Master.
As a whole hand, the five fingers easily picked up the pebbles.

From THE RESOURCE BOOK

James 3:16
“Where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder....”

Romans 12:3-8
“For through the grace given to me I say to every man among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another....And since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let each exercise them accordingly....”

The entire chapter of 1 Corinthians 12 explains varieties of gifts and ministries.
“One and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills... no part of the body can say 'I have no need of you'....Now you are Christ's body and individual members of it....”


No comments: