Wednesday, March 29, 2017

THE BEST VERSION OF ME?


I feel uncomfortable when I encounter the term “the best version of myself” in some Christian writings in recent days. What is being implied? That there are other versions of myself from which I may pick and choose at will? Are some versions better or worse than others? How many faces do I have that I may show to the world?

Is there a version I may wear when I'm all dressed up for church? A pious version?
Is there a home-style one I can put on when with my family who know me only too well? A bedroom slipper version?
A business or professional version of me? A briefcase version?
Or a private, intimate version that only God sees? The heart version, the inner man?

Are my versions interchangeable like masks which I may change on a whim depending on the situation? I don't think so. It would seem that God is in the business of transforming us into one authentic version—what you see is who I am. 
The mortal part of me is indwelt by the Holy Spirit who wants to reflect the spirit of Jesus through my flesh. God's plan is to develop my character into a unified version through His power, one that will manifest the Fruits of the Holy Spirit listed in Galatians chapter five.

The Jesus version is the one single version God is working on through all the seasons and circumstances of my life. He doesn't allow masks like in a masquerade party to disguise who we really are or to keep people guessing. The Jesus version is one-size-fits-all. We are each unique and God has the very best version of us in mind from the very beginning—He has promised to finish working on what He has begun. “For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6).

MASQUERADE PARTY

I play games with myself
and with others too
pretending to know who I am
where I'm going
and why.
Sometimes I even convince myself
that I have it all together.

I put on a mask
to keep you from knowing me
although I want you to know me
but I'm afraid
that the me you'll see
is not the one
I want you to know.

I put on a facade
even to God
but it doesn't work
for He sees right through
my flimsy mask
yet never asks
me to be something other
than what I really am.

Since I am in Christ
I can put away
my various masks
and all of that sham.

No comments: