Sunday, January 22, 2017

ADDENDUM TO PREVIOUS BLOG POST


I want to clarify my intentions to decelerate the speed of my lifestyle: In automotive terms, there is a time to speed up and a time to reduce speed, even a time to cruise, to maintain an even forward pace. A time to pause, look in both directions and proceed. And a time for a full stop—and a time to park. Traffic signs along the road leave no doubt.


It's the same in one's spiritual life. We should be walking so closely with the Lord that we will discern His signs when to decelerate and when to accelerate.

Last year the Lord made clear that His will for me was for a stated time to specifically accelerate my creative writing and publishing for His reasons, which I didn't know and didn't question and He didn't tell me. I was only to obey. I don't want to slip out from under the Holy Spirit's direction now with any personal decisions based on what I figure is a good idea or what sounds realistic or logical. I sense that His word to me is currently to decelerate in order to renew.


I certainly don't discern that I'm at a full stop in my life calling. I don't want to be misunderstood or to come across that way. One of my good friends referred to my intention to “retire” as “laying down my spurs” in cowboy terms. I don't sense that finality by any means. More of a PAUSE to look in both directions (in this case backward and forward, the past and the future) and proceed perhaps at a somewhat slower pace—but always alert to the Holy Spirit's exclusive right to change my pace at any particular moment in line with His will. I should be prepared to obey His whispers when to speed up or slow down. It's the slower pace that might be a more difficult adjustment for me, certainly a learning experience. Pray for me, please—I'm accustomed to “running” the race of life.


The little chorus comes to mind: “Yes, Lord, YES! to Your will and to Your Way; Yes, Lord, YES! I will trust You and obey; When the Spirit speaks to me, with my whole heart I'll agree, and my answer will be Yes, Lord, YES!” As Jesus' Mother instructed the wine servants at the wedding at Cana, “Whatsoever He [Jesus] says to you, DO IT!” [Implied is=don't ask questions.]


A verse from the Old Testament reinforces my understanding. The second phrase in Deuteronomy 33:25 is commonly translated “as your days, so shall your strength be.” I checked other versions and found the following variations: 
 

“Your strength will equal your days; so may your work be; that your strength lasts all your days, the rest of your days.” And then a couple of versions prove interesting: “according to your days, so will your leisurely walk be.” Another, “As the days of your youth, so shall your old age be” and “Your old age will be like the days of your youth.” And “As your days, so shall be your strength, rest, and security.” There's a lot of gold for us to mine here and exciting promises to reflect on, especially when coupled with my verse for the year, Psalm 103:5. “[God] satisfies your mouth [your life, your years, your necessity and desire at your personal age]with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.” 
 

So I'm rethinking the selection of the gift book I'm offering to my friends during the forthcoming Chinese New Year Celebration. Yes, the FABLES OF GOD'S KINGDOM FOR GROWN-UPS will be in the box, but instead of the second copy, I'm going to substitute a different new one which I just published, SELAH REFLECTIONS: Press the PAUSE Button. The latter is much more in sync with the “leisurely walk” I have been contemplating and discussing. You will know when you read it.

No comments: