Monday, May 30, 2016

“SAY 'THANK YOU'”

To say “Thank you” is one of the first things parents try to teach their children when they are given something. And the child dutifully parrots “Thank you” upon being prompted, but next time the youngster might have to be reminded again.

When I awoke this morning, I was impressed to declare today a special THANKSGIVING DAY. Not like the first one in 1863 which Abraham Lincoln initiated, nor the one we now celebrate in November primarily with over indulgence on turkey, dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie...oh yes, and the green bean casserole.

Mine isn't a national holiday but a deliberate, personal, all day gratitude. Certainly I already do thank God on a regular basis. Nevertheless, I want officially, between God and me, to be alert and thank Him for EVERYTHING I see and feel and experience and encounter and think about today—people, places, and things. I want to notice them. To acknowledge them. To name each blessing in detail. And say “Thank You, Lord! with a grateful heart.

Thanks for EVERYTHING? Yes! For EVERYONE? Yes! AT ALL TIMES? Yes, all day and all night and ALWAYS! For ANYTHING? Yes, absolutely anything! Even for ALL THE “LITTLE STUFF?” There is no such thing as little stuff, no trivia. EVERYTHING comes generously as a gift from the heart of God. Nothing is to be taken for granted. Thanks for WHATSOEVER? Of course! Check it out at Colossians 3:15 and 17. EVEN IF I'M ANXIOUS, IN TROUBLE, FEARFUL, OVERWHELMED WITH ADVERSITY? Yes! No exceptions, even when things go wrong.

I'm going to practice “an attitude of thanksgiving.” (Colossians 4:2) I know that is the will of God. “In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus” (I Thess. 5:18). Of course I want to obey God's will.

Now to get started. Thank You, Lord, that I woke up to another new day; for life itself; for life in Christ; that I slept well on a luxurious queen size mattress; that my CPAP system worked for my sleep apnea; that I can breathe throughout the day without extra oxygen; that I can put my feet on the floor, with strength to stand up and walk unassisted; for this house my son built for me, its incredible comforts and conveniences without number; for running water and a hot shower; for a modern, indoor bathroom and a flush toilet (which we didn't have as we traveled interior China); for most of the bodily organs in my "earth suit" that are still working after so many years of service; (and for those that aren't!); for healings and recoveries when I have needed them; that I still have most of my teeth to brush; for automatic heat or a/c; for age appropriate clothes to put on; for orthotics in my shoes; for my reading glasses and hearing aids; for my appetite and a still working digestive system; for food in the kitchen that I am able to prepare by myself; for the sunshine/rain and I'll let You decide which for today; for the assurance of Your Presence and something good to look forward to today in Your plan for my life; for a sound mind and fairly good memory; for...oh, so much I'm blessed with, and I've barely taken a few steps from my bedroom!

This is so exciting! Would you like to join me in this adventure to practice perpetual awareness of God's daily gifts for which to GIVE THANKS WITH A GRATEFUL HEART in detail today? Hopefully, more and more it will become my lifestyle day by day come what may.



No comments: