Thursday, March 10, 2016

THANK GOD FOR "UNREMARKABLE!"

Unremarkable? That's a strange, unfamiliar word. Not really a word I tend to use regularly. But it was used recently repeatedly about certain inner, unseen organs made visible on a screen during an ultrasound I had and then transferred to a written report by the radiologist. It's sort of a bland, confusing, making-me-wonder, non-descriptive, unsatisfactory, un...well... remarkable word. Does that mean good news or bad news?

unremarkable
/ˌʌnrɪˈmɑːkəbəl/
adjective
1. not worthy of note or attention. ordinary, not special. not notably or conspicuously unusual. not extraordinary.

Well, then I should like the word! A lot! "Unremarkable" is quickly working its way up the ranks of my favorite words. Personally, I had not necessarily wanted to be referred to as unremarkable. But referring to medical tests for a health concern, unremarkable is the word I do want to see.

Radiologists and surgeons consider a result unremarkable if that means there is nothing to report on it. ie. "Leona, we have your scan results: the report says each organ we looked at is unremarkable."

Phew, the particular organs they scanned are unremarkable. Hhmmm... yes. Those organs are apparently there and accounted for, but there is no particular, visible problem with them. Yay for unremarkable! Thank You, God, for “nothing” to report! ;-) That IS a praise shout!

In my long life I have had my share of good reports and bad test results. I'm a lung cancer surgery survivor years ago already. During the early post-surgery years, every time I went for a 3 or 6 month or annual check up or X-ray I have felt the same apprehension. Would there be “something” or “nothing?” Afterward I have thanked God once again for the unremarkables.

Every unremarkable that God sends my way, and yours, is just as much an answer to prayer as a healing. And a cause for thankgiving. When God keeps my organs in good health is equally a mercy and goodness of God as restoring a disordered organ to normal. The Psalmist wrote In Psalm 139 King David wrote, “For Thou didst form my inward parts...I will give thanks unto Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” God not only made all my parts, but He keeps all my organs running for decades and scores of years. That IS remarkable!

Every “unremarkable” report I receive is also a tap on the shoulder as a reminder that God requires my cooperation for my health. I can't violate the principles of good health and get off scot free without consequences. If I have been abusing my body through poor nutrition, overindulgence, or neglect, I will reap what I have sown. If God gives me an unremarkable report anyway as a merciful blessing in spite of my negligence, it should motivate me to shape up and pursue serious cooperation with Him for my health. He's given me a second chance!

Each test result reported as negative in the meaning of there being nothing to report is a cause not for TGIF (Thank Goodness It's Friday) but TGIU (Thank God It's Unremarkable!)


No comments: