Wednesday, August 21, 2013

WELL-WORN SWEATS AND STALE BREAD

Excerpt from chapter "Summit meetings with God"

I have some comfortable habits: comfort foods I love to eat and favorite comfortable clothing that I reach for in the closet when I'm at leisure. Old scuffed up shoes and hang-loose, well-worn sweat shirts help me feel cozy and content. But stale bread is not my first choice. It's okay when toasted and cut into croutons, but I much prefer the aroma of fresh-baked bread hot out of the oven (or from my automatic bread maker)!

God supplied fresh manna daily for the Israelites in the wilderness. He instructed them not to save today's provision for tomorrow because it would spoil. Moreover, they should trust Him to provide it fresh again the next morning. When I come for a summit meeting with God, it is still nourishing, comfortable, and edifying to come in a familiar way and read well-known passages from the Bible or pray the same prayers from the Liturgy day after day, and pray through my prayer list. 

But wouldn't it delight the Lord if I came into His presence with eager anticipation of a fresh touch, a fresh anointing, a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit? It would be like eating fresh bread! It is spiritually exhilarating to find new promises, recount and praise God for new blessings, rejoice over newly discovered truths, to receive new insights into God's character and majesty.

Better than a bowl of crunchy cereal in the morning is the fresh bowl of mercies that the Lord prepares for my breakfast. “It is of the Lord's mercies and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His (tender) compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness” (Lam.3:22, 23 Amplified Version). 

Every morning at my summit meeting I don't have to eat leftover mercies. A fresh helping is waiting for me because I used up the former ones. Yesterday's mercies covered yesterday's failures and shortcomings. Tomorrow is not yet in need of God's mercy. God provides more than enough mercies to take care of the needs He knows I will have today since “His compassions fail not.”

Fresh Touch

A fresh touch from you—
how I long for it, Lord!
My spirit grows stale
when I settle for yesterday's bread
or empty calorie glazed donuts
or drive-through junk food.

Each day I want to eat
Your fresh Bread of Life
prepared by Your hands
just after dawn
upon a glowing fire of charcoal
like You provided fish and bread
generously spread
for those who followed You
beside the Sea of Tiberias.

Give us this day our daily bread
homemade Bread of Your Word
and the Bread and Wine
of Your Body and Blood
prepared by Your nail-pierced hands
kindling love in us
while we are being nourished.

Since I belong to You
I cannot live on instant food
no, cannot walk or work
sustained by man's baked goods
even if freshened in a microwave oven.
Essential is Your wholesome Bread
delivered fresh each day
from Your heart to mine.
Only that will nurture me.

No comments: